Just days after the star is indicted on child molestation charges, there are further goings on...
Michael Jackson has parted company with this two lead attorneys just days after the singer was indicted on child abuse charges.
The high-profile lawyers specially hired by Michael Jackson, Benjamin Brafman and Mark Geragos, have given no reason why they have decided to step down.
“Mark and I elected to step down. There were a number of complicated legal and practical issues…but it’s not appropriate for us to discuss them. I wish Michael Jackson well…and I hope he will be completely exonerated,” Brafman told Reuters.
Geragos refused to comment on the case, saying he was under protective order.
Both Brafman and Geragos still plan to appear at a hearing on Friday (April 30) during which Michael Jackson is expected to enter a “not guilty” plea to the indictment handed down by a Santa Barbara grand jury last week.
According to Reuters, the two attorneys will be replaced by Thomas Mesereau, Jr. – another high-profile criminal lawyer.
A spokesperson for Michael Jackson, who is currently hiding out in a Florida estate, said she was not aware of the changes and could make no comment.
Due to the secrecy surrounding the Santa Barbara grand jury and the indictment, very little is known about the exact nature of Michael Jackson‘s charges.
But the jury is known to be probing accusations of seven counts of lewd acts on a child under 14 and two counts of plying the boy with alcohol.
The departure of Michael Jackson‘s two high profile lawyers is expected to further delay the case, which already had not been expected to go to trial until the end of 2004.