Ms Dynamite pleads guilty to assault

The star also admits disorderly conduct

Ms Dynamite has pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer while being held in custody following her arrest outside a London nightclub.

She also admitted disorderly conduct when she appeared at Bow Street Magistrates’ Court in London today (January 13), reports the BBC.

The star, real name Niomi McLean-Daley, was accused of striking a female officer in the face on 6 January.


She will return for sentencing on Tuesday (January 17), with prison a possibility.

Her brother Kingsley Daley, 22, pleaded not guilty to a charge of obstructing police.

Prosecutors said police were called to the Paragon Lounge nightclub to find a “large disturbance” outside, which Ms Dynamite, whose debut album ‘A Little Deeper’ won the Mercury Music Prize in 2002, was involved in.

“She was told to calm down on repeated occasions but didn’t,” said prosecutor Audrey Hawkes.

“Eventually PC Marles allowed Mr Daley, her brother, to calm her down but she continued to be abusive and was arrested.”

Mr Daley is accused of trying to prevent police from arresting his sister.


Ms Hawkes added: “At the police station, she was abusive again and hit the police officer once with an open palm on the side of the face. There was no injury.”

Ms Dynamite ‘s defence solicitor, Anthony Burton, said the situation arose following another incident where she and her 18-year-old sister were racially abused, but declined to go into further details.

Mr Burton added that press reports about the situation had been exaggerated and that both sides accepted his client had not punched the officer but struck her with an open hand.

District Judge Caroline Tubbs said the conviction was “a serious matter of assault on a police officer performing her duty” and stressed all sentencing options were open, including a custodial sentence.

Carlene Godwin, 24, also appeared in court in connection with the disturbance, pleading not guilty to a public order offence.

She and Mr Daley were bailed to return to court on 27 January.