'Forever Words' is based on the poetry of Cash.
The album is released April 6 via Sony’s Legacy Recordings and will feature Ruston Kelly & Kacey Musgraves, Rosanne Cash, Alison Krauss & Union Station, Kris Kristofferson & Willie Nelson, Brad Paisley, John Mellencamp, Carlene Carter, Elvis Costello, The Jayhawks alongside the late Chris Cornell
Johnny Cash’s son John Carter Cash was a co-producer on this new album and described it as a “monstrous amassment” of undiscovered material.
The track ‘You Never Knew My Mind’ is sung and performed by Chris Cornell as one of the artist’s last solo recordings. This track will be released almost twenty-one years after Cash covered Soundgarden’s ‘Rusty Cage’ for his album, ‘Unchained’.
Check out the album trailer below.
Meanwhile, Johnny Cash‘s record label has delivered a cease and desist letter to a white nationalist website after it repeatedly used his music during an online radio show.
The letter explained that the label had not “licensed, granted permission, or otherwise authorised” the use of the track for the radio show.
Responding to the ruling, host Patrick Slattery said: “We will not be able to use ‘I Won‘t Back Down’ as theme music anymore, but I can guarantee you, we’re not backing down.”
‘Johnny Cash: Forever Words’ is out April 6. See the full tracklist below.
1. Forever/I Still Miss Someone – Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. To June This Morning – Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. Gold All Over the Ground – Brad Paisley
4. You Never Knew My Mind – Chris Cornell
5. The Captain’s Daughter – Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. Jellico Coal Man – T. Bone Burnett
7. The Walking Wounded – Rosanne Cash
8. Them Double Blues – John Mellencamp
9. Body on Body – Jewel
10. I’ll Still Love You – Elvis Costello
11. June’s Sundown – Carlene Carter
12. He Bore It All – Daily and Vincent
13. Chinky Pin Hill – I’m With Her
14. Goin’, Goin’, Gone – Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
15. What Would I Dreamer Do? – The Jayhawks
16. Spirit Rider – Jamey Johnson