THE GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL will definitely go ahead in 1999, pending the granting of a licence by the local council, and bands already tipped to appear include R.E.M, METALLICA and THE ROLLING STONES.
Organiser MICHAEL EAVIS told NME he met with all 60 production staff on November 8 and they unanimously voted to put the event on again next year, despite criticisms from both festival-goers and Mendip District Council following this year’s mud-affected event.
He said: “We’ve got a wonderful line-up of bands again too, it’s all really strong and we’re thrilled to bits.”
However, he added that, yet again, he would not be revealing any of the act in advance.
Mendip District Council told Eavis in September that Glastonbury Festivals Ltd had got “lax” in the organisation of the event and that he had to “get his house in order” and had “a lot of work to do” before a licence was granted for next June’s event. Complaints were mostly about breaching of noise levels and the behaviour of festival-goers in the area.
But Eavis said he had been working with council officials and was now confident a licence would be granted.
Eavis said: “We were just cautioned really for going over noise limits, but we’ve assured them that it won’t happen again.” He added that he had also allocated 40 acres on higher ground at the festival site to keep campers from the muddier lower fields. He said the extra area could accommodate 13,000 people.
Mendip District Council will decide whether a licence will be granted in February. The festival will be held on June 25, 26 and 27, traditionally the weekend closest to the Summer Solstice.
New!! Subscribe to the NME.COM Festivals News Service and have the latest festivals news e-mailed straight to you.
To subscribe, just fill in your e-mail.