Band will make their first ever festival appearance with UK exclusive show
Queen and Adam Lambert have been named as the first headliner for the Isle of Wight Festival 2016.
The booking represents Queen’s first ever festival show and will be their only UK gig next year. They will close the annual festival on Sunday, June 12.
Speaking about the appearance, Queen’s Brian May said: “I think Queen at The Isle of Wight Festival is a date that was long overdue. How incredible to take on this challenge at this point in our lives. With an injection of new blood in the shape of the incredible Adam Lambert, Queen will be ready to tear it up on this legendary stage in 2016. Freddie would have loved it. Can’t wait.”
Meanwhile, festival boss John Giddings said: “It’s an honour for us to have Queen and Adam Lambert at our festival. It’s the perfect way for us to celebrate our 15th anniversary. Queen’s music appeals to people of all generations and it’s hard to think of another band with such a famous collection of songs. It’s going to be an incredible moment for The Isle of Wight Festival when they share these songs with us.”
The Isle of Wight exclusive deal rules Queen and Adam Lambert out of headlining Glastonbury next year. Lambert recently spoke about wanting to play Worthy Farm with Queen and the band were among bookies favourites to top the Pyramid Stage bill in 2016.
Talking to Bang Showbiz, Lambert said: “That’s the first time hearing of it so I don’t know. If they invited me, yes of course I would”.
Brian May had previously suggested that Lambert’s commitments might have been the reason the band didn’t play 2015’s festival, saying: “Look, these things get put on the table, it would be interesting to do Glastonbury if we were an operational unit at the time.”