The Farringdon nightclub will be temporarily shut amid police investigation into drug overdoses
London nightclub Fabric will close this weekend after the drug-related deaths of two teenagers.
On Saturday, an 18-year-old male collapsed outside the club and was pronounced dead shortly after. It follows the death of another 18-year-old who fell ill at the Farringdon venue in June.
In a statement on its website, Fabric said they had agreed to temporarily shut over the weekend while police investigate.
“For the past two years fabric has operated without incident but tragically in the past nine weeks two 18-year-old boys have died as a consequence of drug overdoses. In order to understand how this has happened we have agreed with the police and other agencies to suspend our operation while we investigate. The club will therefore be closed this weekend,” the statement reads.
The club added that it would make a further statement next week and that all tickets will be refunded.
Over the past three years, Fabric has come under intense scrutiny from the Metropolitan police and Islington council over drug-related incidents.
In December 2014, the police asked the council to consider revoking the club’s license after four deaths in the previous three years.
Fabric remained open with strict conditions imposed on its license, including sniffer dogs and ID scans. But the club fought the decision and won an appeal in December 2015, overturning the conditions.