One Direction have released a surprise new single titled ‘Drag Me Down’, their first song released since the departure of member Zayn Malik earlier this year.
Malik quit pop group One Direction in March, stating that he wishes to be “a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight”. He has since unveiled plans for a solo career.
Now, One Direction – who are thought to be working on their fifth album – have dropped ‘Drag Me Down’ out of the blue.
Singer Liam Payne posted a iTunes link to the track to Twitter, writing: “Bit of a surprise ! Check out our new single! It’s called Drag Me Down. I hope you love it as much as we do”. See that tweet below.
Bit of a surprise ! 😊 Check out our new single! It’s called Drag Me Down & I hope you love it as much as we do https://t.co/HPJn2Kij5M
— Liam (@LiamPayne) July 31, 2015
One Direction may take some time off following recent news that member Louis Tomlinson is to become a dad, manager Simon Cowell has said.
Cowell told The Sun: “I said to him, ‘You man up. You’re fortunate because you’re in a position to be able to look after the baby and not worry too much about that’. I also told him, ‘I’ve received bad calls in my life but this is not one of them. This is your business but I’m here for you’.”
“He didn’t kill anyone. He got someone pregnant. It happens every day all over the world.”
“In terms of the band, they’ve got enough hits now they can take some time off and do some other stuff they want to do. Then I hope they’ll have a little bit of time apart and want to get back together again. It’s a fun job, but it’s absolutely their decision.”
The group formed in 2010, finishing third place in that year’s X-Factor. The pop outfit have since released four albums, with 2014’s ‘Four’ going to Number One in 18 countries.