Ex-Beatle speaks out over 'horrendous violation of privacy'
Paul McCartney has confirmed that he will contact the police after learning that he may have been one of the victims of the phone-hacking scandal.
The former member of The Beatles said he will be asking Scotland Yard to investigate the allegations when he returns from his current US tour, which he’s due to wrap up in Cincinnati tonight (August 4).
According to Reuters, McCartney told reporters in the American city:
I don’t know much about it, but I do think it’s a horrendous violation of privacy, and I think it’s been going on for a long time and more people than we’ve heard about knew about it.
Last month, political whistleblower Guido Fawkes unearthed a column written by former Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan which saw him allegedly admit to listening to a voicemail McCartney had left on then wife Heather Mills‘ phone.
In the article, which was published in the Daily Mail in 2006, Morgan wrote:
At one stage I was played a tape of a message Paul had left for Heather on her mobile phone. It was heartbreaking. The couple had clearly had a tiff, Heather had fled to India, and Paul was pleading with her to come back. He sounded lonely, miserable and desperate, and even sang ‘We Can Work It Out’ into the answerphone.
Morgan has issued a statement denying all involvement and has labeled his accusers as “liars, druggie ex-bankrupts and conmen”.