Glastonbury festival organiser Emily Eavis has ruled out the chance of Prince headlining this year.
In an interview with BBC 6Music, reported by Efestivals, Eavis addressed the persistent rumour that the US superstar, who has been performing surprise gigs in the UK as part of his Hit And Run tour, would be announced for the summer event.
Asked if Prince would be appearing this year, Eavis said: “He’s someone that will be amazing one day, he’s somebody that we haven’t had, and we would love to have him at Glastonbury. But no, no we haven’t (booked him).”
Eavis also stressed that there’s more to the festival than headliners. She said: “For me I get really excited about the new stuff, those on the Park Stage and the smaller stages around the outside of the site… Someone like Courtney Barnett, who is brilliant, you think OK, let’s give her a really good slot in the afternoon because she’s just at the right point, and by June she could have a big crowd. It’s really nice to see that transition, see who by June is going to be really big, or a lot bigger.”
Eavis – daughter of festival founder Michael Eavis – also reported that the family are having sleepless nights over the line-up in the run up to the event. She revealed: “We’ve spent all year, and at the moment we are dreaming about it every night, sleepless nights… and a the moment it’s constant, the debate about who goes where, and trying to get everything right.”
Last week (February 27), bookmakers William Hill stopped taking bets on Kasabian headlining one of the three days at Glastonbury. The band had been bookies’ favourites to top the bill alongside confirmed headliners Arcade Fire.
Tickets for Glastonbury Festival 2014 sold out in record time after going on sale on October 6. 120,000 tickets were snapped up in one hour and 27 minutes, beating last year’s record of one hour and 40 minutes. Eavis revealed that over one million people had registered for tickets for next year’s event.
Gallery: Everything we know so far about Glastonbury 2014