The star died in April at his Minneapolis estate
Prince died of an opioid overdose, a US law enforcement official has confirmed.
The 57-year-old star was found dead at his estate in Minneapolis on 21 April. An autopsy was completed on April 22, but medical examiners said at the time that the results of toxicology tests could take several weeks.
The official, who is close to the investigation but spoke on the condition of anonymity, told AP that the tests have established that the singer died of an overdose.
Last month, police confirmed that prescription painkillers were found in Prince’s possession when he died as well as elsewhere in his home. Both the Drug Enforcement Administration and US Attorney’s Office have been assisting the Carver County Sheriff Office in their investigation.
According to the Star Tribune, Prince was scheduled to meet with an opioid addiction specialist the day after he died.
Prince’s lawyer, however, has previously denied reports that the singer died of a drug overdose but admitted that he could have been taking medication.
The results of the singer’s toxicology tests have yet to be publicly disclosed.