Singer's cause of death has been subject of speculation
Prince‘s lawyer has dismissed reports that the singer died of a drug overdose.
The late music icon passed away at his Paisley Park home in Minnesota last Thursday (April 21), aged 57. Reports state that he was found collapsed in a lift and pronounced dead at 10.07am. A postmortem has been carried out but no cause of death has yet been confirmed.
TMZ has reported that the singer overdosed on the powerful painkiller Percocet five days before his death. According to reports, Prince was admitted to a nearby hospital and given an emergency shot of the anti-overdose drug naloxone, before being discharged after three hours. It’s been suggested that Prince was taking Percocet to alleviate hip problems.
Speaking to The Associated Press, Prince’s lawyer and former manager L. Londell McMillan – who had known the star for 25 years – said that the singer was “not on any drugs that would be any cause for concern”.
However, McMillan admitted that he could have been on some sort of medication. “People use medication. The question is, are you on meds in a dangerous way?” he added.
McMillan went on to deny that Prince had used any hard drugs: “Everybody who knows Prince knows he wasn’t walking around drugged up,” McMillan said. “That’s foolish. No one ever saw Prince and said ‘He looks high.’ It wasn’t what he was about.”
McMillan had last spoken to Prince the Sunday before he died and the star assured him that he was fine. “He said he was doing perfect,” McMillan stated. “He said, ‘OK, I’ll call you soon.'”
The lawyer went on to add: “Prince had an amazing life. He enjoyed life. He had a lot of fun.”
The star’s remains were cremated after a private memorial service held at Paisley Park on Saturday (April 23).
Since his death, tributes to Prince have ranged far and wide with President Barack Obama stating “Today, the world lost a creative icon” and musicians including Madonna, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Frank Ocean, The Weeknd and Katy Perry leading the tributes.