Quincy Jones has issued a public apology for a series of controversial comments and claims he made in two recent interviews.
The acclaimed producer and musician made headlines earlier this month for a number of explosive remarks he gave to GQ and Vulture. The latter piece saw Jones call The Beatles “the worst musicians in the world” and say that U2 are no longer writing good songs, while he also alleged that Richard Pryor once had sex with Marlon Brando. While Pryor’s widow validated the claim, Brando’s son Mike issued a denial on behalf of his family which called Jones’ claim “wrongful”.
Jones has now released a statement apologising for the comments. Referencing “some silly things I’ve said in two recent interviews”, Jones said that his six daughters recently sat down with him to address the fall-out from his remarks.
“I am an imperfect human and I’m not afraid to say it. And I’m sorry and I’m not afraid to say it,” Jones writes.
“When you’ve been fortunate enough to have lived such a long and crazy life (and you’ve recently stopped drinking – three years ago!), certain details about specific events (which do NOT paint the full picture of my intentions nor experiences) come flooding back all at once, and even at 85, it’s apparent that ‘wordvomit’ and bad-mouthing is inexcusable.
“I’m sorry to anyone whom my words offended and I’m especially sorry to my friends who are still here with me and to those who aren’t,” he added. Read Jones’ full statement below.
— Quincy Jones (@QuincyDJones) February 22, 2018
Jones also said in the aforementioned interviews that he once dated Ivanka Trump – as well as claiming to know who killed US President John F Kennedy.