Embattled R&B superstar R Kelly is to fight a third lawsuit claiming he coerced an underage girl into having an abortion.
R Kelly has settled two other underage sex suits out of court, but lawyers for the star now say “the cash machine is closed”.
Yesterday (April 29), 20-year-old Patrice Jones launched the latest action in Chicago claiming she and R Kelly first had sex at a Chicago recording studio in January 1999, when she was 16. The suit claims she and the star had sex an average of two to three times per week at the recording studio and various Chicago hotels from January to August 1999.
The suit also alleges she became pregnant by R Kelly in June 1999 and in September he “coerced” her into having an abortion.
R Kelly‘s legal team immediately went on the offensive. His lawyer Gerry Margolis said the latest suit was “a collection of half-truths, distortions and outright lies”. He also criticised Susan Loggans the woman’s lawyer, who represented two others who brought claims against R Kelly that were later settled.
Earlier this month, R Kelly settled a civil suit for an undisclosed sum with Tracy Sampson, a former record label employee who claimed he had induced her into a sexual relationship when she was 17.
In 1998 he settled with Tiffany Hawkins for a reported $250,000. She had claimed the singer had sex with her and induced her to have group sex with other teenage girls when she was 15. Aside from Jones, another woman, also represented by Loggans, is set to file a similar suit soon.
“This is a very depressing case, as far as I’m concerned,” Loggans told the Chicago Tribune of the Jones case. “We have the medical records. We’d like to see this go to trial as soon as possible.”
She said they tried to settle out of court with R Kelly, but an agreement couldn’t be reached.