Ronan Keating was under armed guard yesterday (July 13) after receiving a death threat.
However, the Boyzone star went ahead with his scheduled appearance, co-presenting MTV show ‘Select’ yesterday afternoon with Kelly Brook at the station’s studios in Camden, London. But instead of using the normal open-air set, was transferred indoors to a more secure studio while armed police officers patrolled outside.
It is not yet clear what was said in the reportedly “sinister e-mail” that was sent to the singer, who is set to hit Number One on Sunday with his latest solo single ‘Life Is A Rollercoaster’. The mail was sent to the singer’s official website – but today, the messageboard service on [url=]www.boyzone.co.uk had been temporarily suspended because of “misuse and abuse by a small number of people”, with a message saying that the site administrator is looking for a new ISP (Internet Service Provider) and a new-look messageboard will be up and running soon.
A spokesperson for Metropolitan Police told nme.com: “As a result of information received, police were requested to attend MTV studios in NW1 at around 3pm yesterday. Nothing happened and police left at 6pm.” They were unable to say how many officers were in attendance, or confirm whether they were armed, but added that the force is not investigating death threats.
Speaking this morning to Lorraine Kelly on GMTV, a calm-looking Keating said of the situation: “It happens all the time, whatever… you just have to keep your head down, put a hat on.” Asked about his family being in the public eye, he added: “No, we [his wife, Yvonne, and one-year-old son Jack] try and keep it private. I have a very normal life, thank God.”
A spokesperson confirmed that the singer’s scheduled in-store signings at Big W superstores in Edinburgh, Rotherham and Bristol tomorrow will go ahead as planned.
In other Boyzone news, he has revealed more details about the band’s movie. He said: “I think it will happen over the next two or three years,” and added it would be a true story, rather than fiction in the mould of Spice World. He also gave an insight into his book, which is scheduled to hit the shops in September, and said would not be an autobiography: “I’m only 23! Maybe when I’m 60 or 70 I’ll write one. It’s a book about me, where I’m going, what I’m doing with my life. There’s a lot of new stuff people have never seen or heard before.”