Rapper will perform on Pyramid Stage on the Friday
After rumours emerged earlier this month, now the news has been confirmed through a series of ‘Glastonbury Free Press’ posters displayed via Oxfam shops, before Glasto organiser Emily Eavis and the festival confirmed the news on Twitter.
The grime icon will top the bill on the Pyramid Stage on the opening Friday.
The grime artist’s top billing has received a mixed reaction from fans and festival goers.
One wrote: “Yassss – Stormzy for Glastonbury a great booking,” while another said: “Stormzy announced as #Glastonbury headliner. There will be thousands of people crying into their avocado and houmous pitta breads as we speak. Go on #STORMZY lad.”
Another fan added: “Stormzy will absolutely smash it………..guaranteed. Inspired booking! Stormzy.”
Others were not happy though as one angry festival goer ranted: “How Stormzy qualifies to be a headliner, I do not know.” Another posted a pic of the character Borat with the slogan “fuck off” below after the user said he “wanted Oasis, Stone Roses and Kasabian etc to headline Glastonbury… end up with stormzy.”
Others made jokes about Stormzy’s headline slot with one writing: “Brexit chaos is confusing me. Has Stormzy resigned from the cabinet? Or is Theresa May headlining Glasto?”
You can view the best responses below:
Rumours first emerged from a post on eFestivals’ forums, the site’s admin quoted “a music biz newsheet I subscribe to”, which names Stormzy as the Friday night bill-topper.
The full quote says: “A couple of weeks ago we ran the rumour that Stormzy was to headline the Friday night at Glastonbury. We’ve now had that confirmed, with either Childish Gambino or Liam Gallagher also taking a key slot that night. Which makes the other headliners mooted – The Cure on Saturday and Paul McCartney on Sunday – both seem plausible. Noel Gallagher is playing next year.”
As ever, the identity of the Glastonbury headliners is the subject of intense speculation.
Tickets went on sale last month and sold out within 35 minutes, although re-sale tickets will be available in the new year. Fans have reacted with the now-traditional mix of jubilation and frustration, depending on their fortunes.
Meanwhile, local Glastonbury residents are demanding more ticket allocation for next year’s festival.
Michael Eavis once again held back a number of full weekend tickets for local people who were not successful in buying tickets when they went on sale.
However, residents are calling the sale ‘ridiculous,’ asking Eavis to provide more tickets to the 2019 event with a petition titled: Make Michael/Emily Eavis hold back more local tickets for Glastonbury Festival!! At the time of writing, 559 people have signed it.