Rapper 6ix9ine could spend up to three years in prison should he be found guilty of sexual exploitation of a child plus additional assault charges.
The rapper is set to face court on October 2 after violating an earlier plea deal. In 2015 he plead guilty to using a child in a sexual performance. In a video he posted online, 6ix9ine was seen stood behind a 13-year-old girl as she performed oral sex in a video he posted online.
6ix9ine, who was 18 at the time, was told that he must not commit another crime within two years of the trial if he was to avoid being put on the sex offender’s register.
- READ MORE: Rapper 6ix9ine reportedly hospitalised after being kidnapped, attacked and robbed in Brooklyn
He now stands accused of choking a 16 year-old girl, as well as driving without a license and assaulting a police officer.
According to documents obtained by The BBC, The Manhattan District Attorney has said this violates the 2015 plea deal, and they have recommended that he be tried as an adult and sentenced to up to three years in prison.
Assistant District Attorney Sara Weiss wrote in a letter to the judge that 6ix9ine had violated the terms by getting arrested on further charges and using social media “to promote a culture of violence and glorify gang activity”.
“[These crimes] seriously compromise his prospects for rehabilitation,” she said, arguing that he should be tried as an adult even though his sexual offence at 18 means he is eligible for “youthful offender treatment”.
Earlier this year, 6ix9ine was reportedly hospitalised after being kidnapped, attacked and robbed in Brooklyn after filming a music video.
Sources said that hooded gunmen knocked Tekashi69 unconscious by pistol whipping him – before entering his home and stealing $750,000 of jewellery and $15,000-$20,000 in cash. Tekashi69’s daughter and her mother were in the property at the time but not hurt.
He later claimed that the event was an “inside job”, and said that he suffered “concussion trauma to the head” during the incident but is now “fine”.