The Drums have premiered their brand new single ‘Body Chemistry’ and announced their fifth studio album ‘Brutalism’ – check out the new track below.
Having re-debuted as the solo project of Jonny Pierce back in 2017 with the release of ‘Abysmal Thoughts’, Pierce has now followed up that record with the announcement that ‘Brutalism’ (which was co-produced by the frontman while being written and recorded in upstate New York and Stinson Beach, California) will arrive on April 5.
Previewing ‘Brutalism’ today (January 15) with its energetic lead single ‘Body Chemistry’ Pierce explained more about the process behind the writing of the track.
“For the year prior to writing this song, I had been dealing with an increased feeling of depression,” Pierce recalled. “To counter that, I was doing all I could do to try and make myself feel good: implementing all sorts of self-care, going to therapy, eating well, exercising at the gym, taking a step back from partying, and focusing on positive relationships while weeding out the not-so-good ones.
“I still found myself weighed down with anxiety and depression. This song asks the question: Is this dull, sad feeling in my DNA? Is it part of my gene pool? Can it ever be corrected? I had been confronting some of my most stubborn demons, and I came to realise that confronting doesn’t always mean conquering.”
See the tracklist for The Drums’ new album ‘Brutalism’ below.
1. Pretty Cloud
2. Body Chemistry
3. 626 Bedford Avenue
6. I Wanna Go Back
7. Kiss It Away
8. My Jasp
9. Blip Of Joy
For help and advice on mental health:
- ‘Am I depressed?‘ – Help and advice on mental health and what to do next
- Help Musicians UK – Around the clock mental health support and advice for musicians
- Music Support Org – Help and support for musicians struggling with alcoholism, addiction, or mental health issues
- YOUNG MINDS – The voice for young people’s health and wellbeing
- CALM – The Campaign Against Living Miserably for young men
- Time To Change – Let’s end mental health discrimination
- The Samaritans – Confidential support 24 hours a day