Band hit out at internet backlash to singer's plans to live as woman
The Gaslight Anthem have offered their support to Against Me! frontman Tom Gabel over his plans to begin living as a woman.
The singer announced earlier this week (May 8) that he will soon be undergoing the process of transition from man to woman and is set to begin taking hormones and undergoing electrolysis treatments in the next few months. He told Rolling Stone of his plans to eventually take the name Laura Jane Grace, who will remain married to her wife Heather.
After the announcement sparked a negative reaction in some quarters, The Gaslight Anthem posted on their Tumblr to defend Gabel.
“How about you leave the guy alone. How about you let another human being make a decision about their lives without your snide prejudices and bigotry?” the post said. “How about the people who go through this and never find peace and end up committing suicide? Would you rather that? Or maybe he could become a raging drug addict and ruin his life and family? Would you rather that?”
Speaking about his decision earlier this week, Gabel said that his wife had been “super-amazing and understanding” since he revealed his intentions. He added: “I’m going to have embarrassing moments and that won’t be fun. But that’s part of what talking to you is about – is hoping people will understand, and hoping they’ll be fairly kind.”
Against Me! released their fifth studio album ‘White Crosses’ in 2010 and are currently recording its follow-up.
You can also read a new interview with The Gaslight Anthem, where they talk about the making of their new album ‘Handwritten’, in this week’s issue of NME, which is on UK newsstands and available digitally now.
See below for a video of the band’s recent acoustic session in the NME office for a small group of fans.