Guitarist is keeping winter months free as it 'looks like we're doing more stuff'
The Rolling Stones are set to tour later this year after Ronnie Wood revealed he is “keeping October/November free”.
The legendary rockers have long been rumoured to be playing live again this year to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Earlier this year, it appeared they would be delaying the celebrations until 2013 after guitarist Keith Richards suggested the band weren’t ready to go back on the road yet.
However, speaking earlier this week, Wood hinted Mick Jagger and co could tour before the end of the year, telling The Sun:
It looks like we are going to be doing more stuff. I am keeping October/November free, that’s what I’ve been told. I’m just awaiting more information.
However, the Faces man scotched suggestions the band would be recording new material, adding: “New ones? Are you joking? We are familiarising ourselves with our back catalogue and have only scratched the surface.”
Earlier this year, Wood suggested the band were “on the verge” of arranging a reunion and were simply “tying up loose ends”.
The band played their first ever gig in London on July 12, 1962. However, Richards has suggested playing in 2013 would be a more fitting half-centenary anniversary. “The Stones always considered ’63 to be 50 years, because Charlie [Watts] didn’t actually join until January,” he said. “We look upon 2012 as sort of the year of conception, but the birth is next year.”
Richards also refused to rule out the possibility of former bassist Bill Wyman for the tour, claiming that he was “up for it” and they had discussed him teaming up again with his former bandmates.
The Rolling Stones will release a new photo album to mark 50 years since their first ever gig this year. The tome – which is titled The Rolling Stones: 50 – will feature 700 shots and words from the band on their history, and will hit UK bookshelves on July 12.