The Who have postpone their remaining tour dates for 2016.
The band are currently in the US on the second leg of their North American ‘The Who Hits 50!’ anniversary tour. At the start of the month (September 9) the band cancelled four dates of the tour, citing a ‘mysterious illness’ contracted by frontman Roger Daltrey as the cause.
In a statement posted on The Who’s official website today (Sep 18), the band explained that Daltrey was recovering from viral meningitis and had been told by doctors “not to do any touring this year.” Cancelling all remaining 2015 shows, including dates in Los Angeles, Chicago and New York, the band promised to return in spring 2016.
Daltrey wrote: “We are very sorry to disappoint our fans in this way. For the last four weeks, I have been in and out of the hospital and have been diagnosed with viral Meningitis. I am now on the mend and feeling a lot better but I am going to need a considerable time to recover. The doctors tell me I will make a complete recovery, but that I should not do any touring this year.”
Guitarist Pete Townshend added, “We are rescheduling all the shows for next spring 2016. We apologise to all our fans who have supported us in the last 50 years. Once Roger is completely well we will come back stronger than ever and Roger and I will give you all a show to remember.”
See the full list of cancelled dates on The Who’s website.
The Who’s current tour is expected to be their last, with guitarist Pete Townshend recently stating that the group will disband during 2015.
“I think I will stop after this year. When this tour is over, we’ll probably both go our separate ways,” Townshend previously told Mojo. “So it’s to demonstrate that even this particular gang can grow old – not necessarily gracefully, but can grow old ungracefully, or whatever it is that we’re doing.”