K-Pop star Yong Jun-hyung is the third singer to be named in a widening sex scandal in the industry.
Earlier this week Seungri, a member of K-pop boy band Big Bang, announced that he’d be retiring music following charges of supplying prostitutes. Then, the singer Jung Joon-young announced his retirement in the wake of confessing to sharing secretly filmed sex videos in an online forum supposedly with Seungri and a third artist.
Now, 29-year-old Yong Jun-hyung has announced that he will leave the boy band Highlight, after confessing that he had received a sexual clip that another entertainer had recorded without the woman’s consent.
“All these behaviours were extremely unethical, and I was stupid,” he wrote on Instagram.
He continued: “I’ll leave Highlight since I realised the seriousness of the issue and don’t want it to bring further damage to my fans.”
In a further statement, Highlight’s label Around US Entertainment said: “Some time at the end of 2015, Yong Junhyung met Jung Joon Young at a drinking gathering. The next day, while contacting each other 1:1 via Kakao Talk, he was informed that Jung Joon Young filmed illegal, hidden camera footage. Afterward, Junhyung admitted that he viewed this hidden camera footage, and he and Jung Joon Young went on to exchange inappropriate remarks about the footage.”
They continued: We learned of the facts stated (above) through Yong Junhyung’s witness questioning. After realising the severity of this situation, Junhyung took part in his questioning diligently, and he is now in a deep state of reflection for his past inappropriate actions, as well as for the disappointment that he undoubtedly caused many due to his immorality.”
“He is also aware that this incident is not one that can be forgiven, and he feels greatly apologetic toward fans of Highlight for breaking their trust and repaying their love with disappointment. In order to take responsibility for his actions and prevent further damage to the group’s image, Junhyung will leave Highlight as of March 14, 2019.”
The label added: “Even when Junhyung became involved in an unfavourable scandal, we were unable to obtain the clear facts right away and released a hasty statement, causing confusion; for this, we apologize. We will take caution so that such incidents do not occur again. We apologize one more time to fans who cherish Highlight.”
Secretly filmed sexual content is known as Molka in South Korea, and is said to have become dangerously popular online in recent years.
“This case just shows that male K-pop stars are no exception when it comes to being part of this very disturbing reality that exploits women,” women’s rights activist Bae Bok-ju told The Guardian.
Seungri meanwhile, has pledged to clear his name as police proceedings continue.