This Is Tomorrow Festival has announced plans for next year’s edition of the festival, having cancelled its 2020 edition.
The Newcastle festival was due to hold its third edition in the city’s Exhibition Park next weekend (May 22-24), with headliners Gerry Cinnamon, Royal Blood and Sam Fender. It was then postponed until September but those dates were also cancelled due to coronavirus.
Now, the festival has announced what it hopes will be finalised dates for 2021, and revealed that all three headliners will be able to return.
“After moving the festival once to protect its future, we again find ourselves in the firing line of the Covid-19 pandemic,” reads a statement from the event on Twitter.
— This Is Tomorrow (@ThisIsNCL) May 13, 2020
“We want you to work with us to make This Is Tomorrow the celebration we all crave after this terrible pandemic. We have an amazing line up and although it will be delayed, it will be everything you wanted it to be.
“Whether you planned on rocking out to Royal Blood, singing belter with Gerry at the top of your voice or losing your mind to ‘Borders’ with local hero Sam, we know this will be disappointing news. We also know that come May this will be the biggest musical celebration this city has ever witnessed.”
However, some fans were left disappointed after Fontaines DC were excluded from the 2021 line-up, having previously been announced for 2020. Although Declan McKenna was also uncertain to be returning, he has now also been confirmed for 2021’s bill, playing on Sunday.
Responding to a request for comment by NME, the festival’s Steve Davis said: “We are offering refunds for people that can no longer attend the new dates, we are obviously a small independent team with many staff on furlough but have managed to reply to everyone within 24 hrs who have made contact thus far.”
“We were excited to have them come on board. I think we have a similar range with Fender,” Brandon Flowers recently told NME.