Subscribe

Bono provides positive update after “complete loss of voice” forced him to abandon U2 show

The singer was heard complaining about smoke in the arena

U2 have confirmed that Bono has received a clean bill of health from doctors after the band were forced to cut short a show when he lost his voice.

The Irish rockers ended a show at Berlin’s Mercedes-Benz Arena after only a few songs on Saturday, after frontman Bono suffered a “complete loss of voice”.

The singer reportedly announced that he was stepping away from the podium for fifteen minutes before the band were due to play their 2000 hit ‘Beautiful Day’.

However Bono never returned, and U2 were forced to call off the concert. Earlier in the show he was commenting on the amount of smoke in the room. The arena allows smoking in certain sections of the crowd.

“This is like  being in a giant cigar,” he said in fan footage you can watch below. “I’ve lost my voice and I don’t know what to do. I was singing like a bird about 10 minutes ago.”

Now, they’ve confirmed that Bono has received a positive medical check.

“I’ve seen a great doctor and with his care I’ll be back to full voice for the rest of the tour,” Bono said in a statement. “So happy and relieved that anything serious has been ruled out.”

Confirming the show’s rescheduling, he added: “My relief is tempered by the knowledge that the Berlin audience were so inconvenienced.

“There was an amazing atmosphere in the house, it was going to be one of those unforgettable nights but not for this reason… We can’t wait to get back there on November 13th.”

The band’s remaining three members Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton and The Edge had previously apologised to fans in a statement on U2’s website.

“We’re so sorry for tonight’s cancellation,” it said. “Bono was in great form and great voice prior to the show and we were all looking forward to the second night in Berlin, but after a few songs, he suffered a complete loss of voice.

“We don’t know what has happened and we’re taking medical advice. As always, we appreciate our audience’s understanding and all our fans’ support in Berlin and those who travelled from afar. We will update you very soon.”

The majority of fans were understanding on social media, although one who had flown over from England for the show as a 50th birthday present told the BBC she was ‘gutted’.

“Very sad it’s cancelled but can’t be helped if he can’t sing. Would have been nice for the band to come out and explain,” she said.

U2’s ‘Experience + Innocence Tour’ is currently still due to continue as planned through Europe, with the band’s next show set for Cologne on Tuesday (September 4).

UK dates are set for October. For tickets, click here.