Five people hospitalised after drinking poppers at Parklife Festival

The Manchester festival issue a warning over poppers 'misused as shots'

Five people have reportedly been hospitalised after drinking poppers at Manchester’s Parklife festival this weekend (June 7-8).
Police have confirmed that four people have now been discharged from North Manchester General Hospital but a 26-year-old woman is still being treated. Her current condition is not known.

BLOG: Are the government right to crack down on laughing gas? How the band will impact UK music festivals

Greater Manchester Police seized 400 bottles of poppers during the festival and confirmed that some festival-goers had been drinking the legal high, which is usually sniffed.

Advertisement

As reported by The Independent, Chief Inspector Gary Simpson commented: “We are now extremely concerned that people are drinking poppers and this poses a significant risk to life and would urge anyone using, or considering using them or any ‘legal high’ to cease from doing so immediately, before it’s too late.

“Anyone who has consumed any of these substances is urged to seek medical help immediately. We are investigating the sale of these poppers and I want to stress the seriousness of selling or distributing ‘legal highs’ and warn people that we will not tolerate it.”

Following the reports, Parklife tweeted a warning to festival goers on Saturday (June 6).

Disclosure, Ben Howard, Caribou and Mark Ronson were among those playing the two-day festival at Heaton Park in Manchester this weekend (June 6-7).

There were 55 arrests across three days related to Parklife but there were no major incidents, police said.

Advertisement
Advertisement