Hip hop mogul appeared in court to tell judge he was going blind
Suge Knight has been taken to hospital for the third time after firing his lawyers.
The hip hop mogul appeared in a Los Angeles court briefly yesterday (March 3) to tell Judge James Brandlin that he was going blind and receiving inadequate medical care in custody. Earlier, Knight also told the judge that he had fired the lawyers handling his case.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Death Row Records co-founder said he was blind in one eye and had only about 15 per cent vision in his other eye. He also said he was having difficulty understanding the trial as he had been shot six times last year and had a blood clot in his lungs, adding that he had lost 35 pounds as a result of his injuries. Brandlin then transferred Knight’s case to another judge, and he was taken for medical care before his case could be called again.
The hearing marks the third time Knight has been taken to hospital since he was charged murder in relation to a hit-and-run incident on January 29 in which a man was killed and another injured. At the time, police said a red pick-up truck hit two men, a 55-year-old and a 51-year-old, in the car park of a California fast food restaurant, and then drove away.
Knight faces a life sentence if convicted. His $2m (£1.3m) bail was previously revoked, with a spokesperson for the Sheriff’s Department citing “possible flight risk, three-strike candidate, possible witness intimidation issues and [Knight’s] criminal past” as reasons for the reversal.
Knight’s former lawyer admitted it was his client behind the wheel of the vehicle at the centre of the investigation, but claimed that the incident was unintentional. “We are confident that once the investigation is completed, he will be totally exonerated,” James Blatt said. “He was in the process of being physically assaulted by two men and in an effort to escape he unfortunately hit two [other] individuals. He was in his car trying to escape.”