Incident marks fourth time hip hop mogul has left court in an ambulance
Suge Knight collapsed in court yesterday after a judge ordered that his bail bet set at $25m (£16.7m).
The former Death Row Records owner and co-founder is currently awaiting trial having been charged with murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run after he struck two men in the car park of a Compton fast food restaurant on January 29.
Knight collapsed during a bail review hearing yesterday (March 20) with Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Ronald S. Coen saying the huge bail fee was justified as the hip hop mogul was already on bail over a separate robbery case at the time of his arrest.
BBC News reports that Matthew Fletcher, acting in Knight’s defence, argued that the amount was both “absurd” and “clearly excessive”.
After his collapse, Fletcher told the court that his client, who is diabetic and has a blood clot, hadn’t received any medication since Thursday and claimed he is being kept in solitary confinement without proper access to medication. Knight reportedly hit his head on a chair as he fell.
Knight has suffered various health problems since his arrest and has had to leave court in an ambulance four times now.
He has said he is blind in one eye and has only about 15 per cent vision in his other eye. He also said he was having difficulty understanding the trial as he had been shot six times last year and had a blood clot in his lungs, adding that he had lost 35 pounds as a result of his injuries.
Knight has pleaded not guilty to the charges related to his hit and run. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.