Faulty electrics blamed for fire at Bath Moles venue

Fire broke out at long-running Somerset club on Saturday morning (March 8)

Fire investigators have said a blaze at Moles nightclub in Bath on Saturday was caused by faulty electrics.

The alarm was raised at 8.50 on Saturday morning (March 8) when a neighbour reported hearing the alarm and seeing smoke billowing from the windows. George Street, in Bath city centre, was closed for a number of hours while firefighters tackled the blaze. Moles co-owner Phil Andrews was called to the scene at around 9am. The fire was contained to the ground floor and was quickly under control, reports Bath Chronicle.

Moles incorporates a recording a studio, and it was initially feared that there may have been musicians in the building during the blaze. Avon Fire and Rescue Group Manager Russ Bennett said it had received “initial reports of members of a band sleeping in an upper floor”, but the building was confirmed as being unoccupied following a search by 14 firefighters, reports ITV.

Advertisement

The venue is currently closed for repairs but a tweet from the Moles account promises that the club will be “back open asap”.

A frequent nominee in NME’s annual search for Britain’s Best Small Venues, Bath Moles has been host to gigs from acts including Oasis, Radiohead and Manic Street Preachers in its 35 year history. King Crimson recorded the album ‘Live At Moles Club, Bath’ at the venue in 1981.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Terry Gilliam: “We’re doomed – what is going on with the world?”

The brain behind some of cinema's craziest epics talks climate change, Adolf Hitler, Brexit Britain – and getting his big break with Terry Jones

Courteeners’ Liam Fray: “The band is my life. When it’s not going great, my life’s not going great”

Fray on the road through darkness that led to new album 'More. Again. Forever.'

Savages’s Jehnny Beth tells us how David Bowie and ‘Peaky Blinders’ shaped her wild solo album

"In my core I felt that there was something that I hadn’t done yet – and that was this record"
Advertisement