‘Glee’ star Cory Monteith died from heroin and alcohol overdose

Canadian coroner says actors death was "a most tragic accident"

The former Glee star Cory Monteith died of a heroin and alcohol overdose, it has been confirmed.

A coroner in British Columbia, Canada, has announced that the actor, who played heartthrob Finn Hudson in the hit US series, died of “a mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol”, reports The BBC.

In a statement, the coroner’s office said: “There is no evidence to suggest Mr Monteith’s death was anything other than a most tragic accident.”

Monteith, pictured seated on the right in the image above, was found dead in his room by staff at Vancouver’s Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel at noon local time on Saturday (July 13). Hotel security footage shows that Monteith returned to his hotel room alone in the early hours of Saturday morning, having been out with other people on Friday night.

Monteith had a history of substance abuse and spent just under a month in a rehab facility earlier this year after voluntarily checking himself in on March 31.

Monteith’s Glee co-stars and numerous musicians were among those paying tribute to the 31-year-old. Read a selection of comments here.