Isle Of Wight Festival organisers say they have taken precautions this year to help protect against potential adverse weather conditions, which devastated the site last year.
Speaking to NME, festival organiser John Giddings explained the improvements. “I’m excited about the fact that I’ve expanded the car parks and created some proper roads into the entrances and exits so I can never have a repeat of what happened last year where it was so wet and the car park entrances collapsed,” he said. “We had a month’s worth of rain in 12 hours and people told me it was freak weather, but we have to prepare ourselves for the same possibilities.”
The festival, which is due to take place at Seaclose Park between June 14 and 16, was hit by extreme weather conditions last year, causing the site to flood and roads into the festival to be closed down. Forecasts for this year’s event are so far predicting sunshine throughout the weekend.
As well as explaining the festival’s increased safety precautions, Giddings also enthused about this year’s line-up – which is headlined by The Stone Roses, The Killers and Bon Jovi. “Everywhere I go people tell me we’ve got an incredible line-up and I think, six months ago we booked Bastille and Kodaline and now they’re fantastic. You book acts hoping they’ll come through and you know how big The Killers and Bon Jovi are already, but bigging up groups for the future is what it’s all about,” he explains. “There’s been lots of examples of people having huge albums in between too. When you look at how The Maccabees have come on, or Laura Mvula or Jake Bugg – they’ve all had Top 10 albums since we booked them and it just makes the whole thing more exciting.”
On top of these acts, Isle Of Wight Festival will also see performances from the likes of Bloc Party, Paul Weller, Palma Violets, Everything Everything, Happy Mondays and Example across the weekend, as well as playing host to an array of cabaret and entertainment tents.