Government not backing ‘three strikes’ plan against illegal downloaders

Culture Secretary Andy Burnham reveals new stance

The government has shelved plans to cut off the internet access of people who persistently illegally download copyrighted material.

It had been thought that the government would back a ‘three strikes and you’re out’ rule with regards to illegal downloading in a new report later this month. However, Culture Secretary Andy Burnham has now said that “technical” methods are likely to be used instead.

Speaking at Music Week’s Making Online Music Pay conference at London‘s Cafe de Paris yesterday (June 4), Burnham said that “technical solutions” would be put into play.

He added that that severing people’s connections was not the “preferred option” of dealing with offenders, reports BBC News.

A report, Digital Britain, outlining the government’s stance on illegal downloading in full, is due to be published on June 16.