89 people were killed at Eagles Of Death Metal's gig at the venue in November
The owners of Paris music venue Le Bataclan have announced that they hope to reopen to the public before the end of the year.
89 people were killed by gunmen during Eagles Of Death Metal‘s gig at the venue in November last year. The incident was the worst hit of a series of terrorist attacks around Paris that evening. Le Bataclan has been closed since.
In a statement issued on Wednesday (February 10), reported by Billboard, the organiser said: “Today, we’d like to share with you some important news: We have decided to renovate the Bataclan. We will do everything in our power to host new shows before the end of 2016”.
The venue’s co-manager, Dominique Revert, previously issued a statement regarding Le Bataclan’s future last year. Revert said: “It will reopen, no question about it. Hearts will be heavy for a few months, a few years. But we will reopen. We will not surrender.”
Le Bataclan originally opened its doors in February 1865, becoming a key rock venue for the city since the early 1970s. The Velvet Underground, Prince, Oasis, Guns N’ Roses and The Clash have all played the venue.
In an interview following the attacks, Eagles Of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes said that he “wants to be the first person to play in the Bataclan when it [re]opens”.
“I cannot wait to get back to Paris,” Hughes added. “Our friends went there to see rock‘n’roll and died, I’m going to go back there and live.”