Woodstock 50 organisers respond to rumours of festival cancellation

Woodstock 50 ticket sales have been postponed sparking fears the festival could be cancelled

The organisers of this year’s Woodstock 50 festival have responded to rumours that the festival might not be going ahead.

Fears were raised after ticket sales for the event were postponed without reason. An email was sent to ticket agents on Friday (April 19) informing them that ticket sales for the event were currently “on hold.”

It read: “There is currently a hold on the Woodstock 50 on-sale date. We are waiting on an official press statement from Woodstock 50 regarding updated [announcements], ticket pricing, and overall festival information. We will get this information to you as soon as we receive it.”

Woodstock 50 line-up poster

Woodstock 50 line-up poster

Now, founder of the festival Michael Lang has told Billboard that cancellation fears were merely “rumours” although no reason for the ticket sale postponement have been given.

He said: “Woodstock is a phenomenon that for fifty years has drawn attention to its principles and also the rumours that can be attached to that attention.”

He added that concerns of the festivals cancellations were “just more rumours.” No further information about when the tickets will go on sale has yet been released.

The festival was hit with further issues last month after The Black Keys pulled out of their headline slot at the event due to “a scheduling conflict.” 

Santana on stage at Woodstock 1969

Santana on stage at Woodstock 1969

The special event is scheduled to take place in Watkins Glen, New York on August 16-18 and will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the original Woodstock festival.

Jay-Z and The Killers were confirmed on March 19 as headliners alongside a varied line-up of acts including Run The Jewels, Vince Staples, The Raconteurs, Boygenius, Courtney Barnett and more. 

Speaking to the New York Times, Lang said of this year’s festival: “We want this to be more than just coming to a concert. And hopefully a lot of the bands will become part of this effort to get people to stand up and make themselves heard, to get and out vote. And if they don’t have a candidate that represents their feelings, to find one – or to run themselves.”

The festival will not take place on the original Woodstock site, with the town of Bethel organising its own celebratory event on the same weekend. That bill includes the likes of Ringo Starr, Arlo Guthrie, and Santana.

The first edition of Woodstock attracted around 400,000 people, who witnessed iconic sets from the likes of Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Janis Joplin, and Sly And The Family Stone. Two further editions were held in 1994 and 1999.