"I need to be home in the north east to be with my family during this very difficult time we are facing."
Mercury Prize nominee Nadine Shah has cancelled her entire upcoming UK tour.
The singer-songwriter was due to begin her sold-out four-date tour tonight (December 2) at Manchester Gorilla, before heading to Bristol, London and Brighton.
She announced the news in a social media post, explaining that she had to return to the North East. “I need to be with my family,” she said. Read the full statement below.
The post read: “Dear friends. I am so sorry but I am cancelling the whole of my upcoming tour. I need to be home in the north east to be with my family during this very difficult time we are facing.
As soon as all is back as it should be and we have come out of the other side I will be back to hopefully play these gigs at a rescheduled date.
I am so sorry to have disappointed or to have let you down as your support means so much to me but I need to be with my family. Love Nadine x.”
Shah was nominated for the Mercury Prize this year for her 2017 album ‘Holiday Destination’. While Shah she had been the bookies favourite to win the award, she lost out to Wolf Alice who picked up the award on their second time of trying, having previously been nominated in 2015.
Speaking to the NME ahead of the ceremony, she said “I don’t view it as a competition at all, the fact that like an artist like me was included in this is prize enough I suppose. My mother and father are here and they get to watch their daughter on this big stage amongst all these other artists…that’s enough for me, honestly.”