The film will open next cinema to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the Italia '90 World Cup
The life story of troubled former England footballer Paul Gascoigne is to be told in a feature-length documentary.
Simply titled Gascoigne, the documentary will be built around an extended interview with the former Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder, fleshed out with archive footage and interviews with his sporting colleagues.
Gascoigne has begun three days of interviews for the film today (December 19), London’s Evening Standard reports, and the film will be released in cinemas next summer to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the Italia 1990 World Cup.
Famously, Gascoigne was reduced to tears during the semi-final against West Germany after receiving a yellow card which would have ruled him out of the final had England managed to beat their arch rivals.
Gascoigne‘s producer Nick Taussig said of the feature-length documentary: “We’re doing a very in-depth interview and everything will be framed around that. We want to capture him in a slightly different way from the way he is captured by the tabloids.”
Taussig also revealed that Gascoigne, 47, had been “frustrated” by ITV’s recent documentary about him, Being Paul Gascoigne, which he felt focused too much on his battle to stay sober following a spell in rehab to treat alcohol addiction.