The Smiths turned solo star tweeted a flyer from the venue on his official Twitter account which describes the event as providing “some exclusive content as well as being able to view the club and its Smiths room. Vegetarian food will be provided by The Deli-Lama”. You can view the tweet below.
The event will be hosted between 10.30am and 4.40pm at the club on both the singer’s dates on July 7 and 8. Admission is free.
— Morrissey (@officialmoz) May 24, 2018
Salford Lads Club featured on the cover of The Smiths’ 1986 album ‘The Queen Is Dead’.
It is one of the few original lads’ clubs still standing in England and is virtually unchanged with original fittings including a boxing ring, snooker rooms and a brick-walled gym.
In 2007, thieves stole lead and guttering from the roof of the venue, which was undergoing a £250,000 refurbishment at the time.
Weeks later, Morrissey donated £20,000 to help the listed building. It was first opened in 1904 by Robert Baden-Powell, founder of the Scout movement as a boys-only venue where it had a membership of 2000.