‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ production company to be prosecuted over Harrison Ford injuries

Members of Disney subsidiary face 4 counts over broken leg incident during filming

Foodles Productions UK – the production company responsible for running Star Wars: The Force Awakens are to face up to 4 counts of prosecution relating to Harrison Ford’s broken leg.

The actor – who played Han Solo in the film – also suffered other injuries when a heavy metallic door fell on to him during the filming of a scene on the Millennium Falcon

Now, the Health and Safety Executive has informed Foodles Production (UK) Ltd, (owned by the umbrella Disney company) that representatives are to appear at High Wycombe Magistrates Court on 12 May 2016 to face four charges surrounding the incident, The Independent reports.

NMEGetty

“HSE has today informed Foodles Production (UK) Ltd that it will be prosecuted over four alleged breaches of health and safety law,”a HSE spokesperson said. “The charges relate to an incident during filming of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, which left Harrison Ford with serious injuries after he was hit by a heavy hydraulic door.

“By law, employers must take reasonable steps to protect workers – this is as true on a film set as a factory floor. We have investigated thoroughly and believe that we have sufficient evidence to bring the case to court” they continued.

Filming for Episode VIII has begun and is expected to reach cinemas in December 2017.

Back in December 2015, Ford appeared on The Jonathan Ross Show December 19, on ITV. Though the veteran actor reprised his role as Han Solo in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, he insisted that he wants “nothing to do with” the 2018 spin-off movie featuring a much younger version of the character.

Ford revealed that shooting on J.J. Abrams’ blockbuster was delayed for around eight weeks while the Han Solo actor recovered from his injuries, which were sustained while Ford was standing in a doorway on the Millennium Falcon.

“We had a big budget this time. In the original film, the door – if there had been a door – would have been closed with a pulley and a stage hand just closing it,” Ford explains in an interview on Jonathan Ross’s TV chatshow. “Now we had lots of money and technology and so they built a fucking great hydraulic door which closed at light speed and somebody said, ‘Ooh I wonder what this is?’ And the door came down and hit me on my left hip because I was turned to my right.”

Ford continues: “And then it flung my left leg up and it dislocated my ankle, and as it drove me down to the floor, my legs slapped on the ramp up to the Millennium Falcon and broke both bones in my left leg.”

Asked by Ross whether he has found out which crew member caused his injuries, Ford replies: “I don’t know and I don’t want to know.”

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is reportedly the biggest selling movie in UK box office history, raking in more than $2 billion worldwide.