The detective drama's second series airs on PBS next month
Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch is “desperate” for the show to take off in the US.
The BBC detective drama’s lead actor admitted that he is frustrated that the show has so far only enjoyed cult success across the Atlantic, and is hoping for a bigger audience second time round.
He told the New York Times: “I’m desperate for America to really take to this. It has taken it to into its heart as a cult thing, but I’d love it to hit the mainstream this time. Because I just think it’s of that quality, and it belongs there.”
The actor added that he is envious of the US success of Downton Abbey, recalling an incident at the Golden Globes when he was teased by PBS producer Rebecca Eaton about the costume drama’s award. “I just looked at it and went, ‘Begone, woman. Bring it back when it says Sherlock Holmes or Steven Moffat or myself – someone else who’s more deserving than the second series of Downton Abbey‘.”
However, he would not go any further in his criticism of Downton Abbey, simply saying: “I know too many people who are in it. I thought the first series was good. That’s what I’ll say.”
Sherlock‘s second series begins in the US on May 6 on PBS.