The creator of Bodyguard has revealed that the hugely popular BBC drama could return for up to four more series.
The acclaimed thriller concluded last night after scoring the highest ratings for a BBC drama in a decade.
But as audiences tuned in to see the story of David Budd and Home Secretary Julia Montague reach its conclusion, viewers complained that major questions were left unanswered.
Now, it seems that creator Jed Mercurio could have the chance to address them – as he’s planning up to four more series.
Say goodbye to your fingernails.
— BBC iPlayer (@BBCiPlayer) September 23, 2018
“It’s probably fair to say we would probably approach any thoughts of a second series with the idea that it would create an opportunity for a third or fourth,” Mercurio told The Sun.
“We do feel very privileged and fortunate that there’s been such a response that it gives us that opportunity to at least think about doing more.”
His affirmative tone is in contrast to an interview last week – where he seemed uncertain about the show’s future.
“We don’t know yet,” he replied when quizzed about a guaranteed second series.
“We’re just beginning that conversation with the BBC.”
Before the Bodyguard returns, however, Mercurio is pre-occupied with the latest series of Line of Duty.
“We’re going to be shooting right up until a few days before Christmas and doing all our editing early in the New Year, so I’m full-time on Line of Duty,” he said.