Cult sci-fi series returned for a six-episode "event series" earlier this year
Fox is in the process of re-opening The X-Files again.
The network’s Entertainment President, David Madden, said at a US press event yesterday (August 8) that Fox is now “in significant talks with the three principals” for another batch of episodes.
The so-called three principals – stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, plus creator Chris Carter – reunited for a six-episode event series on Fox earlier this year. The new episodes, the show’s first in nearly 15 years, pulled in strong audiences for the network on Monday nights, but weren’t entirely well-received by fans and TV critics.
“The show was off the air for a very long time,” Fox’s co-CEO Dana Walden said yesterday in response to criticism of the recent episodes, TV Guide reports. “They had the challenge of filling in the mythology. … Going forward there won’t be the same obligation to reset the series.”
“I think that there was some very strong work throughout the season, and we look forward to more,” Madden added. Earlier this year Anderson revealed that she was initially offered half of Duchovny’s fee to re-join The X-Files for this year’s event series, but eventually managed to negotiate an equal salary to her co-star. She also battled the network for pay parity during the show’s 90s heyday.