The star has parted ways with Marvel and FX
Donald Glover‘s planned animated Deadpool TV series is no longer going ahead, with the star denying that he was “too busy” to work on the project.
The actor, alongside his brother Stephen, was set to write, executive produce and serve as a showrunner on an “animated adult action-comedy series” based on the Deadpool comics. He signed a 10-episode deal with FX for the show last May.
However, FX have now issued a statement announcing the series is not moving ahead at the network after “creative differences” caused them, Marvel, and the Glovers to part ways on the project. It has yet to be confirmed whether the show will continue with another network and, if so, if the Glovers will remain involved.
Glover has since taken to Twitter to state, “for the record: i wasnt too busy to work on deadpool.” He also shared a hastily-written Deadpool script, which makes reference to Trump, Bitcoin and who bit Beyonce. See those tweets in full below.
As Deadline reports, until Disney’s pending acquisition of FOX is complete, any new plans for the Deadpool show would have to be done with another FOX production affiliate.
The second Deadpool movie is set for release on May 27. The first full-length trailer was released last week, which shows Ryan Reynolds’ superhero battling Josh Brolin’s Cable with a “super-duper fucking group” of fellow heroes he dubs “X-Force”.
Donald Glover, meanwhile, is set to retire his musical alter-ego Childish Gambino after his next album. He initially told fans during a live show last year that the follow-up to 2016’s ‘Awaken, My Love!’ would be his last under the moniker.
Speaking to reporters after winning the Grammy for Best Traditional R&B Performance for his song ‘Redbone’, Glover said that he stood by his decision to bring the curtain down on Childish Gambino.