Season six of the fantasy drama is shooting now for a 2016 premiere
Game Of Thrones is likely to run for eight seasons, HBO’s president Michael Lombardo has revealed.
Season six of the fantasy drama started shooting earlier this month, and will premiere on HBO and Sky Atlantic in spring 2016. Asked how much longer the show might continue after season six, Lombardo told journalists at a press event in Los Angeles yesterday (July 30): “That’s definitely open. I think seven seasons and out has never been the conversation. The question is how much beyond the seventh season are we going to do.”
Lombardo then revealed that Game Of Thrones‘ show runners, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who have previously said they would end the show with season seven, are now leaning towards making an eighth season too. “At this point, obviously we’re shooting [season] six now, hopefully discussing [season] seven. I think they’re feeling like there’s probably two more years after six,” Lombardo explained.
Confirming that HBO is keen for the show to continue beyond season eight if Benioff and Weiss can be persuaded, Lombardo added: “As I’ve said before, I would always love for them to change their minds.”
Lombardo also discussed the possibility of a Game Of Thrones prequel series, saying that nothing has been put forward by author George R.R. Martin or the two show runners yet, but that he is open to suggestions.
“I would be open to anything that Dan and David wanted to do – about Game Of Thrones, or any subject matter,” Lombardo said. “It really would depend fully on what they wanted to do… there’s enormous storytelling to be mined in a prequel, if George and Dan and David decide they want to tackle that. At this point, all the focus is on the next few years of the show. We haven’t had any conversations about [a prequel] at this point.”