George R.R. Martin says ‘Game Of Thrones’ prequel rumours are just ‘speculation’

HBO fantasy drama picked up 12 Emmys last night (September 18)

Game Of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin has dismissed rumours that he is making a prequel.

After picking up a record breaking, 12 Emmys last night (September 18) including Outstanding drama series for the second year in a row, rumours had been circulating that a prequel was in the pipeline.

But Martin told a press conference at the event, it was purely speculation. He added: “Well I do have thousands of pages of fake history that have led up to Game Of Thrones. At the moment, we still have a show to finish and I still have two books to finish. So for now, that’s all speculation.”

Advertisement

Meanwhile Game Of Thrones actress Gemma Whelan was hospitalised last week with an unknown injury.

The British actress – who plays Yara Greyjoy in the hit HBO series – posted a photo on Instagram of the unusual underwear she had been given in hospital.

Sharing the story behind the unusual smalls, she wrote: “Ward Nurse: Would you like some underwear as you came into hospital a bit suddenly and underprepared.”

“Me: Oh yes please that’s so kind I really would thank you. Oh.”

Fans are speculating that Whelan may have been injured filming some kind of battle scene for Game of Thrones season seven, though this has yet to be confirmed.

Oscar-winning actor Jim Broadbent has joined the show’s cast for what is said to be a “significant” role in Season Seven. The seventh season will be the penultimate instalment of the show and will debut on HBO in summer 2017. The eighth and final season is expected to follow in 2018.

Advertisement
Advertisement