Showrunners have previously said they're planning for Season Seven to be the last
HBO’s programming president Michael Lombardo has revealed that the network wants Game Of Thrones to run for a decade.
The hit fantasy drama’s showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have said in the past that they are planning to wrap up Game Of Thrones at the end of Season Seven, but Lombardo has confirmed that HBO would be keen to commission additional seasons beyond this.
“This is the hard part of what we do,” he told Entertainment Weekly. “We started this journey with David and Dan. It’s their vision. Would I love the show to go 10 years as both a fan and a network executive? Absolutely.”
However, Lombardo went on to confirm that the final decision on how long Game Of Thrones should continue rests with its showrunners.
“We’ll have an honest conversation that explores all possible avenues,” Lombardo explained. “If they weren’t comfortable going beyond seven seasons, I trust them implicitly and trust that’s the right decision — as horrifying as that is to me. What I’m not going to do is have a show continue past where the creators believe where they feel they’ve finished with the story.”
Meanwhile, the global premiere of Game Of Thrones Season Five is set to take place at the Tower of London next Tuesday (March 18) with “a host of Game Of Thrones stars in attendance”. Sky Atlantic, which airs the show in the UK, is running a competition offering fans the chance to win 25 pairs of tickets to the world premiere. Details of the competition are available on Sky’s website.
Season Five of Game Of Thrones will then begin on Sky Atlantic on Monday, April 13, the day after it premieres on HBO. Once again, the new season will consist of 10 episodes. For the first time, Game Of Thrones author George RR Martin has not written an episode for the forthcoming season, as he is concentrating on completing the sixth novel in his series, The Winds Of Winter.
HBO unveiled nine new cast members for Game Of Thrones Season Five at San Diego Comic-Con in July 2014, including former Bond villain Jonathan Pryce and Oscar-nominated actress Keisha Castle-Hughes.