HBO reportedly close to securing deal for more ‘Game Of Thrones’

New deal would take series up to eight seasons

Game Of Thrones will reportedly return for a seventh and eighth series.

The start date for series six of the fantasy drama was announced earlier this week and The Hollywood Reporter states that head of HBO Michael Lombardo is keen to continue the hugely successful show going forward.

“HBO programming president Michael Lombardo told a handful of reporters Thursday at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour that the premium cable network is near a deal for another two-season renewal,” the US publication report.

SEE MORE: George RR Martin Has Missed The Deadline For The Next Game Of Thrones Book – What Does It Mean For Season Six Of The TV Show?

The sixth series of the show will return on April 24 and is set to air at the same time in the UK and US with Sky Atlantic showing simulcasting the show for British viewers. Fans will be able to watch the episodes at 2am on April 25 (9PM on April 24 in the US) with a repeat in the UK at 9pm on Monday April 25.

The first trailer for season six of Game Of Thrones was revealed last year. The clip largely consists of flashback footage but also features a voiceover from the character Bran, who says: “They have no idea what is going to happen.”

The trailer followed a teaser poster which showed the blood-stained face of Kit Harington’s character Jon Snow, who was apparently left bleeding to death at the end of season five.

Ever since the season five finale, Game Of Thrones fans have been speculating as to whether the popular character, a mainstay since the show began, is dead or alive.

New cast members for season six include veteran actor Max von Sydow, who has been cast as the Three-eyed Raven, and Withnail and I‘s Richard E. Grant, who will play the manager of a visiting theatre troupe. Meanwhile, Golden Globe-winning actor Ian McShane has also joined the cast in a currently unknown role.