The actor will appear in court next month
Kevin Spacey has broken his silence over sexual assault allegations in a bizarre video that sees him reprise his House Of Cards character Frank Underwood.
The actor posted the video in response to reports he has been charged with sexually assaulting a teenager at a bar in Massachusetts. The incident allegedly took place in Nantucket in July 2016.
In the clip, which Spacey shared yesterday (December 24) and is titled “Let me be Frank”, he said: “Of course, some believed everything and have just been waiting with bated breath to hear me confess it all. They’re just dying to have me declare everything you said is true and that I got what I deserved. Wouldn’t that be easy if it was all so simple?
“Only you and I both know it’s never that simple, not in politics and not in life. But you wouldn’t believe the worst without evidence, would you? You wouldn’t rush to judgements without facts, would you? Did you? No, not you. You’re smarter than that.”
He continued, speaking in Underwood’s accent: “Anyway, all this presumption made for such an unsatisfying ending and to think it could have been such a memorable send-off. I mean, if you and I have learnt nothing else these past few years, it’s that in life and art nothing should be off the table. We weren’t afraid – not of what we did and what we said, and we’re still not afraid. Because I can promise you this – if I didn’t pay the price for the things we both know I did do, I’m certainly not going to pay the price for the things I didn’t do.”
The alleged victim is the son of former news anchor Heather Unruh, who spoke about the incident last year. She claimed Spacey had bought her then-18-year-old son alcohol, despite him being three years below the legal age, before groping him.
Spacey was removed from House Of Cards after allegations of sexual misconduct were levelled against him last November. Actor Anthony Rapp first accused him of making sexual advances to him in 1986, with numerous other claims following. In two separate statements, the House Of Cards star said he did not recall the incident with Rapp and, later, that he was “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment.”
The 58-year-old is currently under investigation by the Metropolitan Police in relation to several sexual misconduct claims stemming from his time as artistic director at London’s Old Vic theatre.
Spacey made his first on-screen appearance since the allegations were made public in July. He appeared in the film Billionaire Boys Club, which had been filmed in 2016, with Ansel Elgort and Taron Egerton. It took a record-breaking low of $126 (£98) on its opening night in the US.