‘Serial’ subject Adnan Syed’s story is “not over”, according to his lawyer

A planned new trial was cancelled last month

The story of Serial subject Adnan Syed is not over, his lawyer has said.

In 2000, Syed was convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee. The 18-year-old had disappeared in January 1999, with her body found a month later showing she had been killed by being strangled.

After Serial was released, Syed was granted a new trial in 2016. Last month, it was effectively cancelled after an appeal by prosecutors, weeks before the release of a new HBO series called The Case Against Adnan Syed.

Speaking to Metro, his lawyer Rabia Chaudry said that decision was “devastating” but said it wasn’t the end of the line for the case.

“The timing was unexpected, the decision came a lot quicker than [I was expecting],” she said. “I think it was because they wanted it to come out before the documentary. I was in shock, I was really demoralised – I’ll be honest, it was devastating.”

She added: “But I spoke to his mother the same day, she was giving us encouragement, saying, ‘There’s a reason it happened like this, the story is not over’, and she’s right, it’s not.”

Chaudry pointed to “other evidence that has never been presented” that give Syed “a lot of different options” in his case.

The Case Against Adnan Syed begins on Now TV tonight (April 1).