Veteran singer recalls being told that his contract was not going to be renewed
Sir Tom Jones has spoken candidly about his instant reaction to being axed from The Voice this summer.
In August, the BBC announced that Boy George and Paloma Faith would be joining the talent show’s panel for its fifth series next year, sitting alongside returning “coaches” Ricky Wilson and will.i.am. Jones, who had been with the show since it launched in 2012, was not asked back for next year’s series.
In a new interview with the Sunday Times, Jones recalls being told by his son, Mark, that his contract for The Voice wasn’t being renewed. “I said, ‘I don’t give a fuck.’ I enjoyed it, but if they don’t want me any more, they can go fuck themselves,” Jones admitted.
The singer also criticises the corporation in his forthcoming memoir, Over The Top And Back: The Autobiography, which is published this Thursday, writing: “What a cold place the BBC is. Sometimes you wonder whether it’s run by humans or a machine in a basement.”
Shortly after the BBC announced next year’s new coaching line-up, Jones wrote a Facebook post expressing his disappointment with the way in which he was axed from the The Voice. “I was told yesterday, with no consultation or conversation of any kind, that I would not be returning,” he wrote. “This sub-standard behaviour from the executives is very disappointing.”
The BBC’s Director Of Television, Danny Cohen, has since said he is “truly sorry” that Sir Tom Jones feels disappointed with the way he has been treated by executives working on The Voice.