The clip, which you can watch below, has racked up 135 million views since it first aired on YouTube in January.
The video sees Adele, who is set to perform four nights at Wembley Stadium next summer, singing along to her hits ‘Hello’, ‘Someone Like You’ and rapping along to Nicki Minaj’s ‘Monster’. She also spoke about her early love of The Spice Girls as she sang ‘Wannabe’.
Second was ‘Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen’, a 68-second music video by Japanese comedian Piko-Taro, which got a huge boost after Justin Bieber tweeted that it was his “favourite video on the internet.”
Other TV shows charting on YouTube’s 2016 viral-video ranking included NBC’s America’s Got Talent; Spike’s Lip Sync Battle between Channing Tatum and Beyoncé; and HBO’s Last Week Tonight With John Oliver, with a clip in which Oliver called Donald Trump “America’s back mole: It may have seemed harmless a year ago, but now that it’s gotten frighteningly bigger, it’s no longer wise to ignore it.”
YouTube measured this year’s top-trending videos using a combination of factors, including how users interact with them (number of views, shares, comments and likes). The final top 10 list is ranked by views.
The Top 10 trending videos of 2016, which you can watch below, had 550 million views over 25 million hours:
1. Adele Carpool Karaoke – The Late Late Show With James Corden
2. Piko-Taro – ‘Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen’
3. What’s Inside a Rattlesnake Rattle? – What’s Inside
4. Nike Football Presents: The Switch ft. Cristiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Anthony Martial & More
5. Grace VanderWaal: 12-Year-Old Ukulele Player Gets Golden Buzzer – America’s Got Talent
6. Water Bottle Flip Edition – Dude Perfect
7. Channing Tatum & Beyonce’s ‘Run The World (Girls)’ vs. Jenna Dewan-Tatum’s ‘Pony’ – Lip Sync Battle
8. Donald Trump: Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
9. The $21,000 First-Class Airplane Seat – Casey Neistat
10. Brothers Convince Little Sister of Zombie Apocalypse – Cabot Phillips