Ziggy Stardust gave us poetry from out of this world
As the world remembers David Bowie on what would have been his 71st birthday, we try to find solace in the hidden (and not so hidden) meanings of his lyrics. Here are 22 of the best Bowie had to offer.
"There's a starman waiting in the sky/ He'd like to come and meet us/ But he thinks he'd blow our minds"
- 'Starman' - 'The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars'
"Look up here, I’m in heaven/ I’ve got scars that can’t be seen/ I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen/ Everybody knows me now"
- 'Lazarus' - 'Blackstar'
"We live closer to the earth/ Never to the heavens/ The stars are never far away/ Stars are out tonight"
- 'The Stars Are Out Tonight' - 'The Next Day'
"We can be heroes/ Just for one day"
- 'Heroes' - 'Heroes'
"I know when to go out, know when to stay in/ Get things done"
- 'Modern Love' - 'Let's Dance'
"Time takes a cigarette, puts it in your mouth/ You pull on your finger, then another finger, then your cigarette"
- 'Rock N Roll Suicide' - 'The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars'
"Baby, I've been breaking glass/ In your room again/ Listen/ Don't look at the carpet/ I drew something awful on it"
- 'Breaking Glass' - 'Low'
"This is Major Tom to Ground Control / I'm stepping through the door / And I'm floating in a most peculiar way / And the stars look very different today"
- 'Space Oddity' - 'David Bowie'
"Now my brother lays upon the rocks/ He could be dead, He could be not/ He could be you/ He's chameleon, comedian, corinthian and caricature"
- 'Bewlay Brothers' - 'Hunky Dory'
“When all the world was very young/ And mountain magic heavy hung/ The supermen would walk in file/ Guardians of a loveless isle"
- 'The Supermen' - 'The Man Who Sold The World'
"A small Jean Genie snuck off to the city/ Strung out on lasers and slash-back blazers/ Ate all your razors while pulling the waiters"
- 'The Jean Genie' - 'Aladdin Sane'
"Sailors fighting in the dance hall/ Oh man! Look at those cavemen go/ It's the freakiest show/ Take a look at the Lawman/ Beating up the wrong guy/ Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know/ He's in the bestselling show/ Is there life on Mars?”
'Life On Mars' - 'Hunky Dory'
"The sun machine is coming down, and we're gonna have a party"
- 'Memory Of A Free Festival' - 'David Bowie'
"As they pulled you out of the oxygen tent/ You asked for the latest party"
- 'Diamond Dogs' - 'Diamond Dogs'
"Oh don't lean on me man/ Cause you can't afford the ticket/ I'm back from Suffragette City"
- 'Suffragette City' - 'The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars'
"You promised me the ending would be clear/ You'd let me know when the time was now/ Don't let me know when you're opening the door/ Strap me in the dark, let me disappear"
- 'Bring Me The Disco King' - 'Reality'
"Lived with the best times/ Left with the worst/ I've danced with you too long/ Nothing left to save"
- 'Something In The Air' - 'Hours...'
"The sniper in the brain, regurgitating drain/ Incestuous and vain, and many other last names"
- 'Time' - 'Aladdin Sane'
"News guy wept when he told us Earth was really dying/ Cried so much that his face was wet/ Then I knew he was not lying"
- 'Five Years' - 'The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars'
"She had a horror of rooms, she was tried, you can’t hide beat/ When I looked in her eyes, they were blue but nobody home”
- 'Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)' - 'Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)'
"Ziggy really sang, screwed up eyes and screwed down hairdo/ Like some cat from Japan, he could lick 'em by smiling/ He could leave 'em to hang/ Here came on so loaded man, well hung and snow white tan"
- 'Ziggy Stardust' - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars'
"Pale blinds drawn all day/ Nothing to do, nothing to say"
- 'Sound And Vision' - 'Low'