‘Space Jam 2’ will be a reboot, not a sequel of the 1996 cult classic

The film's makers have also hinted that Michael Jordan could return

Space Jam 2 will be a reboot and not a sequel, it has been confirmed today (September 21).

Starring NBA star LeBron James, it was announced earlier this week (September 19) that Black Panther director Ryan Coogler had been brought on board to help produce the movie, thought to be a sequel to the 1996 cult classic.

However, LeBron’s childhood friend and filmmaking partner Maverick Carter has now revealed that the forthcoming movie will not take on the form of a sequel, but a reboot instead.

Speaking to The Hollywood ReporterCarter said: “There’s already been one that was good, we gotta make a film that’s great.”

He also discussed the possibility of Michael Jordan returning, saying “hopefully there will be a role for Michael if he wants it…But Michael Jordan is Michael F****** Jordan. It doesn’t matter [if LeBron] calls him, he’s gonna do what the hell he wants, which he has earned that right to do.”

He added: “LeBron and Michael are not sitting around talking about Space Jam.”

LeBron James / Ryan Coogler

LeBron James / Ryan Coogler

The long-awaited follow-up to the 1996 animated/live action film, which starred Michael Jordan, Bill Murray and a host of the characters from the Looney Tunes franchise, is now in the very early stages of pre-production. Random Acts of Flyness’ Terence Nance will direct the movie.

Production is set to begin in earnest in 2019 during the NBA off-season, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Speaking to the publication, James said: “The Space Jam collaboration is so much more than just me and the Looney Tunes getting together and doing this movie,” James told the publication. “It’s so much bigger.”